From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Default blank lines for error, elog, einfo, etc
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 16:41:59
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Jim Ramsay <lack@g.o> posted
3 > 20080616083401.1703135a@××××××××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 16
4 > Jun 2008 08:34:01 -0400:
5 >
6 >> Well, this is true and it isn't... In the case of:
7 >>
8 >> ewarn line one
9 >> eblank
10 >> ewarn line two
11 >>
12 >> Obviously it would be the same as ewarn. However, what about here:
13 >>
14 >> ewarn line one
15 >> eblank
16 >> elog line two
17 >> eblank
18 >> einfo line three
19
20 Yes, this is a "tricky" case. In the case where the previous and next
21 output lines differ like this, a grey "*" could be used, or perhaps a
22 green one. However, read more below on my response to Duncan.
23
24 > Here's a novel idea, let blank lines be /real/ blank lines! =8^)
25
26 Duncan, your point is well-taken. Taking that idea one step further,
27 how about using a "neutral" color for the "*" when "eblank" is used.
28 For example, a medium grey. This would avoid needing logic to guess the
29 correct color, and it would nicely integrate with the rest of the visual
30 flow/look of the output. Although I was originally imagining a
31 context-based color picker, this may be, indeed (as some have pointed
32 out) overkill.
33
34 The actual issue has mostly to do with conditionals like in the example
35 I gave a while back (in which the blank lines need to be within the
36 conditionals to avoid bunching up of blank lines when the conditionals
37 are false). Currently, I tend to color the "*" the same as the
38 preceding lines (I have no choice bu to pick some color), but this
39 doesn't really look right, depending on how the conditionals play out.
40
41 I am leaning more and more toward the idea of a neutral color for
42 eblanks, as this would indeed be trivial to code and it would make
43 output make more sense, especially for conditionals, but for other cases
44 as well.
45
46 -Joe
47 --