From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: packages.gentoo.org lives!
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 05:03:23
1 Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Having small fonts isn't common, at least not amongst folk that I've
3 > directly observed in usability testing. Having text at sizes that don't
4 > strain the eyes is more common.
5
6 It doesn't seem unreasonable that the site be readable despite the font
7 size. The logo overlaps the text at any point size under 16, at least in
8 my browser, which is quite big. My screenshot was with size 12, which is
9 what I use everywhere and I'm sure I'm not alone. I don't know anything
10 about HTML but is it possible to set a minimum font size or force it to 16?
11
12 > CSS 'min-width' isn't usable, because it interferes with the rest of the
13 > layout, and the folks with tiny fonts then have a massive gap between
14 > their text, and the middle column.
15 > What the actual solution is, is a narrower logo. I've been
16 > asking and looking, but have not yet found, a version of the logo
17 > without the spotlight effect on the background.
18
19 Moving the text in the middle column down so it begins under the logo
20 would also work, wouldn't it? All of our other pages (except b.g.o)
21 have either the plain purple banner or black banner with links across
22 the top, and it works fine there. Is there some reason it can't be
23 done here also?
27 looks like christmas at fifty-five degrees
28 this latitude weakens my knees
29 EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662 (0xF9A40662)