From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: packages.gentoo.org lives!
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:37:00
1 On Wed, Nov 14, 2007 at 10:57:04PM -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > Robin H. Johnson wrote:
3 > > Having small fonts isn't common, at least not amongst folk that I've
4 > > directly observed in usability testing. Having text at sizes that don't
5 > > strain the eyes is more common.
6 > It doesn't seem unreasonable that the site be readable despite the font
7 > size. The logo overlaps the text at any point size under 16, at least in
8 > my browser, which is quite big. My screenshot was with size 12, which is
9 > what I use everywhere and I'm sure I'm not alone. I don't know anything
10 > about HTML but is it possible to set a minimum font size or force it to 16?
11 DPI (dot pitch to the metric world) makes a big difference here.
12 Your screenshot, displayed on my system, is hard to read, and I still
13 have 20/20 eyesight.
14
15 For my normal use, I use Bitstream Vera {,Sans,Mon}, 12pt (minimum
16 enforced), 100dpi, 1586x994 (1680x1050 screen, but my browser is the
17 aforementioned size).
18
19 > Moving the text in the middle column down so it begins under the logo
20 > would also work, wouldn't it? All of our other pages (except b.g.o)
21 > have either the plain purple banner or black banner with links across
22 > the top, and it works fine there. Is there some reason it can't be
23 > done here also?
24 ViewCVS, glsamaker, bugday, there are plenty that don't have the banner.
25 For a site that needs to provide dense information, I actually strongly
26 dislike the waste of space that is the black area at the top of g.o, but
27 I'll try to come up with a more compact version.
28
29 My usability design range in testing this spans:
30 1024x768 to 1680x1050, at both 72dpi and 100dpi.
31 However it seems that I didn't take into account fonts that render
32 extremely small :-(.
33
34 I'll try to make a smaller logo with the SVG that nightmorph pointed
35 out.
38 Robin Hugh Johnson
39 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
40 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85