From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New Portage fork: sys-apps/portage-mgorny
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2018 18:36:09
1 On 03/26/2018 09:48 AM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:
2 > On 2018-03-23 18:44, Patrick McLean wrote:
3 >> At my (and zmedico's) employer we use Gentoo heavily (all of our servers
4 >> run it), and have a few large internal overlays and hundreds of internal
5 >> profiles. There are packages in upstream Gentoo that we maintain an
6 >> internal fork of, and it would be extremely useful if we could mask the
7 >> ::gentoo version of something so a version bump does not cause it to be
8 >> installed instead of our forked version.
9 >
10 > I have the same need, but it works for me: I have several packages in
11 > /etc/portage/package.mask directory with content like
12 >
13 > <cat>/<pkg>::gentoo
14 >
15 > to make sure the package from Gentoo repository isn't used.
16 >
17 > But I guess you are talking about a different thing?
18
19 The issue is that people are using profiles hosted in repositories other
20 than gentoo, complete with profiles.desc entries (eselect profile
21 supports this), and they would like to have the ability to use ::repo
22 atoms in these profiles.
23 --
24 Thanks,
25 Zac