From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Should we join the which hunt?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2022 10:21:43
1 On Fri, May 13, 2022 at 05:02:25AM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2022-05-13 at 09:11 +0200, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 > >
4 > > So, should we join the "which hunt", with the goal of removing
5 > > sys-apps/which from the system set and from stage1?
6 >
7 > Yes, although I would suggest "command -v" as a POSIX replacement that
8 > can be sent upstream. The "type" utility is also standard, but the "-p"
9 > flag is not, so "type -p" creates some pointless bashisms. Both are
10 > built-in to bash so there's no performance penalty in ebuilds either
11 > way.
12
13 fwiw both command -v and type -p aren't analogous to which given they
14 check shell functions too, requiring to pay attention to namespace.
15
16 e.g. if have /bin/ftest and ftest() { :; }, with bash:
17 which ftest: /bin/ftest
18 command -v ftest: ftest
19 type -p ftest: (nothing)
20 type -P ftest: /bin/ftest
21
22 If the function is unset they all return /bin/ftest though. In bash
23 / ebuilds I don't see much reason to use command -v, but if swapping
24 which for command -v with POSIX sh should check if the script doesn't
25 have simple function names everywhere.
28 ionen