From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 10:16:38
1 While I still have access to the u@g.o email, I'll respond here.
4 On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 10:22 +0100, Michael Haubenwallner wrote:
5 > On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 00:47 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
6 >
7 > As it seems too few people really accept your suggestion, I feel it's
8 > time for me to chime in too, although I don't know what exactly POSIX-sh
9 > standard defines.
10
11 > Agreed, but (speaking for alt/prefix):
12 >
13 > Alt/prefix is designed to (mainly) work without superuser access on the
14 > target machine, which may also be Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and the like.
15 > /bin/sh on such a machine is not POSIX-shell, but old bourne-shell
16 > (unfortunately with bugs often).
17 > And it is _impossible_ to have sysadmins to get /bin/sh a POSIX-Shell
18 > nor to have that bugs fixed.
19 >
20 > But yes, on most machines there is /bin/ksh, which IMHO is POSIX
21 > compliant (maybe also with non-fixable bugs).
22 >
23 > Although I do not know yet for which _installed_ scripts it'd be really
24 > useful to have them non-bash in alt/prefix, I appreciate the discussion.
25 >
26 > To see benefits for alt/prefix too, it _might_ require that discussion
27 > going from requiring /bin/sh being POSIX-sh towards being
28 > bourne-shell...
29
30 Actually you missed the mark completely.
31 Nothing in the tree itself specifies what shell to use - instead it's
32 the package manager. So the PM on Gentoo/Linux/FreeBSD *could*
33 be /bin/sh and on the systems where /bin/sh is not possible to change to
34 a POSIX compliant shell then it can still use /bin/bash or wherever it's
35 installed.
36
37 This also applies to the userland tools. If the ebuild or eclass *has*
38 to use the GNU variants then it should either adjust $PATH so that it
39 finds them first, or it prefixes them all with g, like it does on
40 Gentoo/FreeBSD.
41
42 None of this is technically challenging in itself, it's just that the
43 key people who would have to do the work to make this possible have
44 already given a flat out no.
45
46 > > > It seems to me that you actually mean "more FreeBSD-able" or something,
47 > > > which is a high price to pay for a relatively small part of Gentoo as a
48 > > > whole.
49 > >
50 > > More embeddable.
51 > > More BSDable.
52 > > More Linuxable - bash isn't the only linux shell, there are plently of
53 > > others.
54 >
55 > More (generic) unix-able.
56