From: Michael Haubenwallner <haubi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:25:37
1 On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 00:47 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
2
3 As it seems too few people really accept your suggestion, I feel it's
4 time for me to chime in too, although I don't know what exactly POSIX-sh
5 standard defines.
6
7 > On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 01:19 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
8 > > On 02-11-2007 17:35:08 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
9 > > > I don't see them as inferior.
10 > > > I see them as more portable and less confusing.
11 > >
12 > > Please stop calling it "more portable".
13 >
14 > But is it more portable as then then works across more than one shell.
15 >
16 > > The shell code you see in
17 > > configure can in a way be called "portable". Your POSIX compliant stuff
18 > > isn't.
19 >
20 > Sure it is - it should work on a shell that claims POSIX compliance.
21 >
22 > > In fact, by stating #!/bin/sh you actually make the code useless
23 > > on a number of platforms, where it would have been working fine if there
24 > > just were #!/bin/bash there.
25 >
26 > Then the issue is to fix their sh so it follows POSIX compliance.
27 > As soon as a dash, bb or FreeBSD sh issue is found where it deviates
28 > from POSIX but it works on bash a lot of people say "dash bug, therefore
29 > invalid
30
31 Agreed, but (speaking for alt/prefix):
32
33 Alt/prefix is designed to (mainly) work without superuser access on the
34 target machine, which may also be Solaris, AIX, HP-UX and the like.
35 /bin/sh on such a machine is not POSIX-shell, but old bourne-shell
36 (unfortunately with bugs often).
37 And it is _impossible_ to have sysadmins to get /bin/sh a POSIX-Shell
38 nor to have that bugs fixed.
39
40 But yes, on most machines there is /bin/ksh, which IMHO is POSIX
41 compliant (maybe also with non-fixable bugs).
42
43 Although I do not know yet for which _installed_ scripts it'd be really
44 useful to have them non-bash in alt/prefix, I appreciate the discussion.
45
46 To see benefits for alt/prefix too, it _might_ require that discussion
47 going from requiring /bin/sh being POSIX-sh towards being
48 bourne-shell...
51 > > It seems to me that you actually mean "more FreeBSD-able" or something,
52 > > which is a high price to pay for a relatively small part of Gentoo as a
53 > > whole.
54 >
55 > More embeddable.
56 > More BSDable.
57 > More Linuxable - bash isn't the only linux shell, there are plently of
58 > others.
59
60 More (generic) unix-able.
61