From: Roy Marples <uberlord@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] POSIX shell and "portable"
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 00:51:05
1 On Sat, 2007-11-03 at 01:19 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 02-11-2007 17:35:08 +0000, Roy Marples wrote:
3 > > I don't see them as inferior.
4 > > I see them as more portable and less confusing.
5 >
6 > Please stop calling it "more portable".
7
8 But is it more portable as then then works across more than one shell.
9
10 > The shell code you see in
11 > configure can in a way be called "portable". Your POSIX compliant stuff
12 > isn't.
13
14 Sure it is - it should work on a shell that claims POSIX compliance.
15
16 > In fact, by stating #!/bin/sh you actually make the code useless
17 > on a number of platforms, where it would have been working fine if there
18 > just were #!/bin/bash there.
19
20 Then the issue is to fix their sh so it follows POSIX compliance.
21 As soon as a dash, bb or FreeBSD sh issue is found where it deviates
22 from POSIX but it works on bash a lot of people say "dash bug, therefore
23 invalid
24
25 > It seems to me that you actually mean "more FreeBSD-able" or something,
26 > which is a high price to pay for a relatively small part of Gentoo as a
27 > whole.
28
29 More embeddable.
30 More BSDable.
31 More Linuxable - bash isn't the only linux shell, there are plently of
32 others.
33
34 Thanks
35