From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flags
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 05:51:12
1 On Wednesday 30 June 2004 23:42, foser wrote:
2 > As far as I am aware it is. At least EXIF was specifically designed to
3 > be kept inside a JPEG format file, but I might be wrong. I mean ppl
4 > stick id3 tags on everything that has music in it these days likewise.
5
6 Heh. PHP supports reading exif tags from TIFF files. My testing of PHP5
7 hasn't reached the graphics stuff yet, so I can't tell you how well it works.
8
9 > I was never really fan of the jpeg=exif solution, because it extends the
10 > jpeg useflag beyond it's specific purpose. But I'm more worried about
11 > the earlier mentioned double meaning of a USE flag we get now by your
12 > interpretation. This is something that should be avoided and I hoped you
13 > could take that more serious, but i guess it's just me.
14
15 I'd take it more seriously if it was documented behaviour. Don't get me wrong
16 - I don't doubt you about the jpeg=exif convention. But as there's no
17 mention of it in the use.desc file, I'm not really sure how we expect our
18 users to know that this convention exists.
19
20 Best regards,
21 Stu
22 --
23 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
24 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
25 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
26
27 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
28 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C
29 --