From: Burton Samograd <kruhft@×××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage wanting to 'update' to lower version of installed package
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 22:42:20
1 On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 10:56:12PM -0400, mike wrote:
2 > if a new version was unmasked and later found to be
3 > REALLY broken or a huge security hole or something,
4 > then this makes sense.
5 > the idea is that, if the package is masked, then its not
6 > supposed to be on a normal system (its still being tested
7 > and/or its known to be bad)
8 > -mike
11 Ok, i was just curious. I checked the notes and it looked like it was
12 just masked because of possible compilation problems, which i didn't
13 have. I just seems odd that it would try to downgrade, but i guess
14 the mask makes portage totally disregard what is present and would
15 assume the package wasn't installed (or some other sort of logic since
16 grub is also a system requirement).
17
18 burton