From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo git workflow
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2014 19:13:17
1 On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 08:04:12PM +0200, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 >
3 > > Deciding on a _commit policy_ should be fairly straightforward and we
4 > > already have one point
5 > > * gpg sign every commit (unless it's a merged branch, then we only care
6 > > about the merge commit)
7 >
8 > +1
9
10 Merge commits only happen if we allow non-fast-forward merges. I would
11 personally be against allowing merge commits on the master branch.
14 > > More things to consider for commit policy are:
15 > > * commit message format (line length, maybe prepend category/PN?)
16 >
17 > this could be done in part by repoman... having a meaningful shortlog would be
18 > nice.
19
20 I don't see how repoman could do anything about this, but here is a
21 good description of how to write git commit messages [1].
22
23 > > * do we expect repoman to run successfully for every commit (I'd say no)?
24 >
25 > commit no, push yes?
26
27 +1, every time we push that should indicate a successful repoman run.
28
29 > > * additional information that must be provided
30
31 I'm not sure what additional information is being referred to.
32
33 > > * when to force/avoid merge commits
34
35 I would be against merge commits on the master branch; everything
36 should be a fast-forward merge.
37
38 > my take- disallow (by policy) nontrivial rebases by third parties, encourage
39 > trivial rebases
40
41 Rebases involving commits that are already pushed to master probably
42 shouldn't be allowed.
43
44 However, rebasing changes *on* master, before they are pushed, is a good
45 thing, because that kills non-fast-forward merges.
46
47 William