From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] glep 42 (news) round six
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:14:30
1 On Sun, 2005-12-18 at 09:57 -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > > You are encouraged to reply to this thread
3 > > saying "I agree with ciaranm
4 > > that repository IDs should not be allowed to contain spaces".
5 >
6 > No problem at all there (smile): spaces in names are A Bad Thing for Unix,
7 > as they conflict with the basic format of the command-line
8 > & were introduced by M$ (Mac ?) to make things easier for idiots.
9 So you're saying long filenames were invented by Microsoft for Windows
10 95? ;-)
11 As long as programmers don't assume that filenames won't have spaces I
12 don't see the problem
13
14 > The proper procedure for Unix-type systems is to use an underline symbol.
15 Which "standard" says that, and how silly is that?
16 We're past the 80s, there's no reason to limit filenames to alphanumeric
17 (as I think with the same reasoning you'd forbid unicode ...)
18 > > Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (I can kill you with my brain)
19 > Does your brain really contain that many viruses ... ?
20 Only because it runs Windows ;-)
21 --
22 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move