From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 04:27:55
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 07:42:11PM -0800, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > On 18/11/2012 19:38, Joshua Kinard wrote:
3 > > Correct me if wrong, but didn't the issue start with udev wanting to put the
4 > > PCI ID database/file into /usr/share from /etc? Then kmod was changed to
5 > > link against libs in /usr/lib, and then udev made dependent on kmod? I
6 > > think that led to a scenario where openrc starts udev up before localmount
7 > > has run, and then things fall apart.
8 >
9 > I honestly can't remember if pci.ids was ever in /etc — I always knew it
10 > in /usr/share/misc...
11
12 Yes, it was always in /usr/somewhere.
13
14 And the pci.ids file came from the pciutils package, not udev.
15
16 But note, we are moving that file out of pciutils (and the usb.ids file
17 out of usbutils) and they will eventually be generated from the udev
18 package itself, as it holds the master hardware database. But that's a
19 totally different topic than the one at hand, and is still being worked
20 on by the developers of the different upstream packages.
21
22 thanks,
23
24 greg k-h