From: "Malte S. Stretz" <msquadrat.nospamplease@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel bug reporting policy
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 10:37:34
1 On Thursday 12 August 2004 00:41 CET Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:04:48AM +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
3 >[...]
4 > We still are. However, if it is determined that the bug is not due to
5 > the gentoo specific package, the user is usually nicely pointed to the
6 > proper place to file this with the upstream developers. We do this to
7 > mitigate the development effort that we, as gentoo developers, have to
8 > do, and help report problems upstream to developers as soon as possible,
9 > being good open source community members.
10 >
11 > > And if a user doesn't have to think about where to file it; if we
12 > > just close the bug as WONTFIX and redirect them upstream, then we
13 > > could be generating more work for ourselves as the default search
14 > > of bugzilla only includes unresolved bugs, so other users would
15 > > re-report it.
16 >
17 > Well, you ran into this because you were using a bleeding edge, pure
18 > kernel.org kernel and ran into a problem. That package
19 > (development-sources) contains no patches, and is only a copy of
20 > upstream. [...]
21
22 Just a side note: I think that's what the resolution UPSTREAM was
23 introduced for in Gentoo's Bugzilla.
24
25 There's even a resolution MOVED though I have no idea how that works. Would
26 be pretty cool if Bugzilla supported some link between different databases
27 so that for example SpamAssassin bugs could just be MOVED over to our
28 Bugzilla and I could stop querying b.g.o for bugs every now and then
29 (*dream*)
30
31 Cheers,
32 Malte
35 [SGT] Simon G. Tatham: "How to Report Bugs Effectively"
36 <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html>
37 [ESR] Eric S. Raymond: "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way"
38 <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list