From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel bug reporting policy
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:42:04
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 12:04:48AM +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > Hello all,
3 >
4 > I was under the impression that when a user finds a bug in his Gentoo
5 > installation, no matter in which package, he should file a bug in our
6 > bugzilla.
7 >
8 > Today I found a bug in the vanilla 2.6.8-rc4 kernel and I added a bug
9 > for it so people who would encounter the bug could find it and use
10 > the attached patch or decide to wait for a new version.
11
12 That was nice of you. However as we can't really do anything about it,
13 I merely closed it out, with a notice that we couldn't do anything about
14 it.
15
16 > However, I was told that it is policy to redirect anyone filing a bug
17 > on vanilla-sources or development-sources (and maybe some other packages)
18 > to upstream because the bugs are definitely not related to anything
19 > made by Gentoo developers.
20
21 Yup. But this is on a package by package basis.
22
23 > So I asked myself: why should a Gentoo user first think about where
24 > to file a bug report? I think it is or should be a service that we
25 > offer to our users if we act as a point of contact for anything they
26 > run into while using Gentoo.
27
28 We still are. However, if it is determined that the bug is not due to
29 the gentoo specific package, the user is usually nicely pointed to the
30 proper place to file this with the upstream developers. We do this to
31 mitigate the development effort that we, as gentoo developers, have to
32 do, and help report problems upstream to developers as soon as possible,
33 being good open source community members.
34
35 > And if a user doesn't have to think about where to file it; if we
36 > just close the bug as WONTFIX and redirect them upstream, then we
37 > could be generating more work for ourselves as the default search
38 > of bugzilla only includes unresolved bugs, so other users would
39 > re-report it.
40
41 Well, you ran into this because you were using a bleeding edge, pure
42 kernel.org kernel and ran into a problem. That package
43 (development-sources) contains no patches, and is only a copy of
44 upstream. I realize that this isn't documented very well, for the
45 different kernel packages, and I need to work on fixing that, and
46 documenting what the Gentoo kernel packages are, and the direction that
47 they will be taking.
48
49 Hope this helps,
50