From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel bug reporting policy
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:55:58
1 On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 03:41:47PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
2
3 > I merely closed it out, with a notice that we couldn't do anything about
4 > it.
5
6 So now it will no longer show up if somebody does a simple search in bugzilla.
7
8 > > So I asked myself: why should a Gentoo user first think about where
9 > > to file a bug report? I think it is or should be a service that we
10 > > offer to our users if we act as a point of contact for anything they
11 > > run into while using Gentoo.
12 >
13 > We still are. However, if it is determined that the bug is not due to
14 > the gentoo specific package, the user is usually nicely pointed to the
15 > proper place to file this with the upstream developers. We do this to
16 > mitigate the development effort that we, as gentoo developers, have to
17 > do,
18
19 The development effort of filing a bug and adding a comment saying that
20 it has been reported upstream and that users will have to wait until
21 a new version is released, is less than the effort of marking each
22 resubmission of the same problem as WONTFIX.
23
24 > and help report problems upstream to developers as soon as possible,
25 > being good open source community members.
26
27 This is not as soon as possible. The reporter may not be familiar
28 with linux and the open source way of working at all yet, so not
29 only will it be faster to report it upstream yourself, it will also
30 make sure that it is reported at all.
31
32 > Well, you ran into this because you were using a bleeding edge, pure
33 > kernel.org kernel and ran into a problem. That package
34 > (development-sources) contains no patches, and is only a copy of
35 > upstream.
36
37 I know that it is only a copy. Patched vanilla kernel is almost an
38 oxymoron, but in my view that is not something a normal user should be
39 concerned with.
40
41 To sum up:
42 - development effort is less if we keep a bug open until a new version is available
43 - bug reports to upstream will be done sooner (and in some cases better)
44 - users don't have to know about development. They see something doesn't
45 work, they let us know.
46
47 Regards,
48 Maurice