From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel bug reporting policy
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 05:08:02
1 On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 01:55:51AM +0200, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > To sum up:
3 > - development effort is less if we keep a bug open until a new version is available
4
5 No, not for me. I'm not going to track all -mm and -rc kernel bugs in
6 the gentoo.org bugzilla. Not to mention all of the normal kernel.org
7 bugs. I have a hard enough time to keep up with the real bugs that we
8 create with our kernel patchset :)
9
10 > - bug reports to upstream will be done sooner (and in some cases better)
11
12 You want me to do the reporting? No, I want the original user to report
13 them. They can work with the original developers to determine the
14 problem, and the fix. Working as an intermediary will help no one, and
15 only waste time.
16
17 > - users don't have to know about development. They see something doesn't
18 > work, they let us know.
19
20 Why "protect" these helpless users? The more they learn about the way
21 the kernel is developed, the more they learn how they can help out.
22 Possibly some of those users can actually become developers themselves
23 once they realize how easy it is to contribute. We want new developers
24 all the time when it comes to the kernel.
25
26 So, sorry, but I'm not going to change the way things currently work for
27 the kernel packages and upstream.
28
29 thanks,
30