From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Decision to remove stage1/2 from installation documentation
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 19:51:23
1 On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 13:04 -0600, Grant Goodyear wrote:
2 > In any event, I don't mind the handbook changes, although I'd perhaps
3 > like to see the FAQ for starting from a stage 1 fleshed out a tad, such
4 > as including a paragraph of why one might not want to do that. Perhaps
5 > steal from whomever posted a treatise on the issue some time ago (either
6 > rac or avenj, I don't remember which)?
7
8 rac... though most of his arguments are invalid once we updated the
9 stages. His arguments were that we should always use stage3 because
10 stages 1 and 2 caused problems, which they did. These problems have
11 been resolved by making the stages fuller. However, in doing so, we
12 reduced the legitimate need for having these stages to almost nothing.
15 Chris Gianelloni
16 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
17 x86 Architecture Team
18 Games - Developer