From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 (was: A few questions to our nominees)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 16:19:57
1 On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 02:58:54 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > Well, in general, if you rely on extensions changing every time a
5 > > program cannot deal with a new feature of a file format, it would be
6 > > quite crazy. For example, if C programs had to start using ".c-2",
7 > > ".c-3", etc., it would get ugly fast.
8 >
9 > Which is why programs that use any major C feature introduced since
10 > 1980 use the extension '.cc' or '.cpp'.
11
12 Except any program using .cc or .cpp for code is liable to break on
13 gcc, as they are C++ file extensions, and to the best of my (admittedly
14 limited knowledge) C and C++ are distinct languages...
15
16 So relying on the file extension seems to be a recipe for
17 misunderstanding. Why limit the functionality of the package manager to
18 rely on the file names? How do you protect the package manager from a
19 malicious ebuild masquerading under the wrong EAPI? Relying on the file
20 name for information is the kind of design decision we laugh at in
21 Windows, so why adopt it here?
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list