From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 55 (was: A few questions to our nominees)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 01:59:06
1 On Mon, 09 Jun 2008 19:49:08 -0600
2 Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
3 > I'm not saying it's a lot harder. But it is more complex and less
4 > elegant. Also, it is error-prone. If someone, by habit, looks for
5 > all "*.ebuild", he will miss a portion of the ebuilds and not even
6 > realize it at first (or ever).
7
8 Yes, if something changes, and people carry on doing the old thing by
9 habit, then things go wrong.
10
11 > Still, the GLEP addresses the very point of what logic has to be
12 > followed if the EAPI exists in the filename, in the file, or both. It
13 > talks of "pre-source" EAPIs and "post-source" EAPIs. Complicated.
14
15 And if the GLEP didn't address it people would complain that it allowed
16 undefined behaviour.
17
18 > Well, in general, if you rely on extensions changing every time a
19 > program cannot deal with a new feature of a file format, it would be
20 > quite crazy. For example, if C programs had to start using ".c-2",
21 > ".c-3", etc., it would get ugly fast.
22
23 Which is why programs that use any major C feature introduced since
24 1980 use the extension '.cc' or '.cpp'.
25
26 > Also, it is easy to build EAPI checking into portage now, and when
27 > the requisite time passes, you only need to deal with situations
28 > where *very* old portage versions are still in use. Since portage is
29 > typically the first thing the system upgrades after a sync, I don't
30 > see a big issue. Or, if that is not acceptable, see my comment at
31 > the end about a one-time change to a new extension like ".eb".
32
33 You completely miss the point of the GLEP. We need new extensions
34 precisely because current package managers can't handle future EAPIs
35 cleanly, and we need to carry on using new extensions because otherwise
36 we restrict what future EAPIs can do.
37
38 > But what users *really* don't care about is EAPIs, and this GLEP would
39 > expose that technical detail to them in a very blatent way.
40
41 Anyone who cares about ebuilds at a file level has to care about EAPIs.
42
43 > Along those lines, as I've said before, migrating to a new extension,
44 > *one-time*, as a solution to this, although not optimal, would be far
45 > more satisfactory than introducing a series of ever-changing
46 > extensions.
47
48 No it won't. It means future EAPIs will be restricted to some
49 particular source format.
52 Ciaran McCreesh