From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [pre-GLEP r3] Gentoo binary package container format
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 19:51:21
1 On Mon, 2018-11-26 at 20:17 +0100, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > > > > > On Mon, 26 Nov 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Specification
4 > > =============
5 > > The container format
6 > > --------------------
7 > > The gpkg package container is an uncompressed .tar achive whose filename
8 > > should use ``.gpkg.tar`` suffix. This archive contains the following
9 > > members, all placed in a single directory whose name matches
10 > > the basename of the package file, in order:
11 >
12 > I see no value in adding another directory indirection, and it will add
13 > more overhead.
14
15 Tar bomb is not a good design. Given tar padding, there will be no
16 overhead unless the full path exceeds ustar limits which is unlikely.
17
18 > Also, AFAICS the tar|tar pipeline that you previously
19 > suggested won't work any more (or would at least require additional
20 > arguments).
21
22 I'm pretty sure the tar pipeline was actually written with account for
23 the directory.
26 > > 1. The package identifier file ``gpkg-1.txt`` (required).
27 > > [...]
28 > > The implementations must include a package identifier file named
29 > > ``gpkg-1.txt``. The filename includes package format version;
30 > > implementations should reject packages which do not contain this file
31 > > as unsupported format.
32 > > The file can have any contents. Normally, it should be empty.
33 >
34 > If the file is empty, why is it named gpkg-1.txt (instead of just
35 > gpkg-1)?
38 *shrug*. I can make it 'gpkg-1' or 'gpkg.1' or whatever you want ;-).
41 Best regards,
42 Michał Górny