From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is "official"?
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 13:52:27
1 Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > One of the issues that the o.g.o project has brought to a head is the
5 > definition of what is "official" and what is not "official" when it
6 > comes to Gentoo. The term is already being thrown about in the
7 > Project Sunrise thread; I'm sure it'll come up again in future.
8 >
9 > It's an issue I think we should discuss and find an agreement on.
10 >
11 > Personally, I think what makes something official or not is 100% down
12 > to who does it. I think something is official if it is done by the
13 > project (where a project matches the definition in the metastructure
14 > project) responsible for whatever we're applying the label "official"
15 > to, then that's all that matters.
16
17 Its a matter of PR in most cases. Infrastructure has been trying hard to
18 make sure any project we host still provides Gentoo with decent PR. Its
19 easy for us to say that if its not on Gentoo's servers, then we can't
20 fully support it. Its the whole liability thing. (That's why we moved
21 all the servers in the rsync.g.o rotation into our control).
22
23 User X sees something on *.gentoo.org and assumes that its being
24 properly taken care of and managed. If its non-*.gentoo.org, then they
25 can be safe to assume its not entirely under the arms of Gentoo. Now, we
26 can have experimental stuff on gentoo infra, but the key thing here is
27 it needs to be properly maintained and managed.
28
29 Say in the case with sunrise, I think a lot of people are concerned with
30 the people managing that project won't be able to handle all the
31 different types of issues people are worried about. Perhaps its also a
32 trust issue also, I'm not sure.
33
34 > So (picking something entirely at random for an example), if the Java
35 > project had an overlay somewhere (say, on gentooexperimental.org),
36 > because it's their overlay, the overlay is "official". Doesn't matter
37 > where it is hosted - all that matters is that it is run by the Java
38 > project.
39
40 Right, and if ge.org gets hacked, its pretty obvious that it wasn't
41 officially part of Gentoo anyways. To me "official" means that we (as a
42 group of developers) agree to support something in some fashion and
43 everyone is held accountable for it since its on Gentoo's central resources.
44
45 > Equally (because it is the hot topic of the moment), Project Sunrise's
46 > overlay would be "official" because they're a Gentoo project. The way
47 > to stop them being "official" is simply to have the Council pass a
48 > resolution to shut down the project.
49
50 It would have helped if the project had discussed it on ML's *before*
51 announcing it to the world and then ignoring all discussion about it.
52 I'm pretty sure that the whole attitude they've shown thus far has
53 degraded their trust among developers for the project.
54
55 The discussion about overlays several months ago specifically was
56 against these types of repos being included, yet it somehow got by?
57 There was trust involved there that if o.g.o became to being, that it
58 would try and keep such repos out.
59
60 > I think the other side of the term "official" is clarifying the scope
61 > of how far something can be "official". Using the Java project as an
62 > example again (sorry guys :), the Java team can put in place
63 > "official" policies and procedures for what their team does, but that
64 > doesn't make them mandatory for the whole Gentoo project. Other
65 > developers remain free to form competitive projects, and put their own
66 > "official" policies and procedures in place if they wish.
67
68 The trouble here is, those policies don't probably incur more bug
69 traffic for *everyone*. There's lots of ways of doing this and most
70 people want it done in such a manner to reduce bug traffic, bad PR, and
71 an agreed upon policy.
72
73 > (I hope I explained that last bit properly. What I'm trying to do is
74 > keep in mind the terms of the metastructure document, which explicitly
75 > allow for two or more teams to be competing with each other).
76
77 I don't think the real argument is a competing team. If it is, what
78 teams is it? I'm not sure I understand your point here in relation to
79 the current stuff going on.
80
81 > What are the alternatives? If a project's activities are not
82 > automatically "official", then who gets to decide, and how is that
83 > decision made? How can that decision be made fairly, without
84 > contradicting the metastructure, and without giving rise to any
85 > accusations of 'cabals'?
86
87 The decision should be made on our development list for the most part.
88 If it seems that most people don't have a problem with it, then it
89 should ok to assume that its 'more' official. Now if its discussed and
90 several people point out issues with a project, and the project either
91 denies or ignores the issues that are brought up, then I would question
92 its official status. We're all peers in the same group and we should
93 all respect each other's opinions. If such a project cannot work with
94 their peers on resolving the issue then it to me the project doesn't
95 belong in Gentoo nor be included as official.
98 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
99 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
100
101 ---
102 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
103 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
104
105 ramereth/irc.freenode.net