From: Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o>
To: Paul de Vrieze <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re[2]: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:28:46
1 1.3.2006, 13:09:55, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > On Tuesday 28 February 2006 21:20, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4
5 >> | > if [ "${IS_UPGRADE}" = "1" ] ; then
6 >> | > einfo "Removing old version ${REMOVE_PKG}"
7 >> | >
8 >> | > emerge -C "${REMOVE_PKG}"
9 >> | > fi
10
11 > This code (or an equivalent kludge/hack) does however allow features that are
12 > of great value to our users. While I agree that such hacks should be avoided
13 > if possible, I think in this case it is not. As such the appropriate response
14 > is to isolate the hack in a central place, where it is clear to be seen and
15 > can easilly be fixed. This allows the quality of the hack to be ensured,
16 > relieving many webapps from doing hacks themselves.
17
18 > While this hack is being used, some effort should be put into
19 > constructively creating a proper solution for the problems that were
20 > hacked around. Saying "this is not allowed because of X policy" is not
21 > helpful as the costs of disallowing it greatly outweigh the costs of
22 > overlooking it in a controlled manner.
23
24 Well yeah, but the problem here is that portage doesn't allow such stuff to
25 be used safely (locking issues, race conditions). And yeah, it's kinda
26 lacking sort of feature that would have its use in a couple of places.
30 jakub