From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] QA Team's role
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:14:00
1 On Tuesday 28 February 2006 21:20, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:09:02 +0100 Jakub Moc <jakub@g.o> wrote:
3 > | 28.2.2006, 18:38:10, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > | > Sheesh, you'll probably claim that this isn't broken next too:
5 > | >
6 > | > if [ "${IS_UPGRADE}" = "1" ] ; then
7 > | > einfo "Removing old version ${REMOVE_PKG}"
8 > | >
9 > | > emerge -C "${REMOVE_PKG}"
10 > | > fi
11 > |
12 > | No, I won't claim that... I'd rather love to know why didn't you
13 > | point out to an obvious eclass flaw about 30 emails and many hours
14 > | ago, saving us from all the eclass formating, slotting and ewarn
15 > | blurb.
16 >
17 > Why didn't you look before accusing me of not having valid issues? I
18 > mean, it's pretty frickin' hard to miss that one.
19
20 This code (or an equivalent kludge/hack) does however allow features that are
21 of great value to our users. While I agree that such hacks should be avoided
22 if possible, I think in this case it is not. As such the appropriate response
23 is to isolate the hack in a central place, where it is clear to be seen and
24 can easilly be fixed. This allows the quality of the hack to be ensured,
25 relieving many webapps from doing hacks themselves.
26
27 While this hack is being used, some effort should be put into constructively
28 creating a proper solution for the problems that were hacked around. Saying
29 "this is not allowed because of X policy" is not helpful as the costs of
30 disallowing it greatly outweigh the costs of overlooking it in a controlled
31 manner.
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze