From: expose@×××××××××××.net
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proctors - improve the concept or discard it?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 17:24:09
1 Wulf C. Krueger wrote:
2 > I'm sure they have the best intentions but I've never seen any clear
3 > guidelines for them. They use their best judgement what to handle and
4 > what not to but due to language barriers, cultural differences etc. it's
5 > difficult to judge.
6 The guideline, as far as I understood it, was (and is?) to ban people who dont
7 abide by the time-outs.
8 And the guideline for time-outs, as far as I understood it, was (and is?) to
9 use them when a thread, as obviously as this one, is neither technical, nor
10 productive but a flame war.
11 And yes, in my opinion, it already was one to the time the warning was sent
12 out.
13
14 > Do we really need moderation on the list? Or could we just literally
15 > moderate ourselves instead? Could we try and succeed to be just ignore
16 > some flames instead of adding oil to the fire?
17 As the incidents in the last few months showed, there is a handfull of people
18 who seem to love flame wars, or dont have anything better to do, so:
19 No, ignoring them does not work, as it just is not what people are doing,
20 which is why proctors where brought into existence:
21 To make people calm down by forcing a delay, which likely will make them stop
22 replying.
23
24 > When I first read the CoC I had just read about the entire Ciaran-incident
25 > on the respective bugs, Forums, mailinglists, blogs and many other
26 > sources. CoC, while not bad in itself, seemed (and still seems) to me
27 > like a "Lex Ciaran" - a document with that what I had just read clearly
28 > in mind and targetted at preventing it.
29 The CoC is the legal basis for the proctors (as well as the other teams).
30
31 > The problem is, though: In an asynchronous communications medium, you
32 > simply cannot pro-actively do anything without bordering on what some
33 > like to call censorship. You can only *re*act in such a situation.
34 The reaction was to delay the thread, and therefore pro-actively forcing
35 people to calm down. There's the hidden pro-active part.
36 Of course, by anyone who felt the urgent need to reply anyway, this effect was
37 destroyed.
38 Furthermore, it was reversed by those replys containing the self-fulfilling
39 prophecy that there is no effect which got things really going.
40
41 > If, after both sides were investigated properly, the complaining party is
42 > found to be exaggerating or too easily offended, disciplinary action
43 > should be taken against it.
44 I am strictly against any way to punish a complainer, except where it is
45 slander or similar, where in turn, the slandered person might complain via
46 the same way.
47 Punishment for exaggeration leads to arbitrariness.
48 --
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list