From: Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Remove cups from default profile to solve circular deps
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 17:22:53
1 On Saturday 06 of March 2010 18:05:20 Nirbheek Chauhan wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:02 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
3 > > Would it be possible to make cups a PDEPEND in gtk+ or is it really
4 > > needed at compile time?
5 >
6 > cups is definitely needed at compile-time
7 >
8 > > The same for cups: can we make poppler a PDEPEND? Maciej, did
9 > > you get any further with looking into that?
10 >
11 > From what I can see in cups-1.3.11, pdftops is purely a runtime
12 > dependency. The configure flags enable code that doesn't need pdftops
13 > at compile-time. Infact, poppler[utils] is in pure RDEPEND to reflect
14 > that. So in total, I think it can be moved to PDEPEND.
15
16 Apart from PDEPEND, one change needed as well in cups ebuilds:
17 --with-pdftops pdftops
18 needs to be replaced with
19 --with-pdftops=/usr/bin/pdftops
20
21 as otherwise it will fail during configure phase (giving absolute path
22 disables autodetection)
23
24 cups can use either poppler or ghostscript as pdf-to-ps filter, so given the
25 fact that ghostscript is already a dep of cups, maybe --with-pdftops=gs could
26 be used instead to avoid poppler dependency completely, but that's up to cups
27 maintainers to determine whether it's safe/desired.
28
29 So it's all simple, all this fuzz was unnecessary.
30 Btw, do we still have active printing herd?
33 regards
34 MM