From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers: nvidia-drivers-313.18.ebuild ChangeLog
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 08:34:57
1 On Sat, 2 Mar 2013 23:11:44 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > My understanding of the summary is that the nvidia-driver Gentoo team
5 > only supports kernels that nvidia themselves (upstream) support. The
6 > Kernels > 3.4 are not supported by upstream, so they are also not
7 > supported in Gentoo.
8
9 There is no official public statements on this as far as I know,
10 therefore we resort back to the statement as listed in the minimum
11 requirements of their latest driver release:
12
13 All official stable kernel releases from 2.4.22 and up are
14 supported; "prerelease" versions such as "2.6.23-rc1" are not
15 supported, nor are development series kernels such as 2.3.x or
16 2.5.x.
17
18 http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/313.18/README/minimumrequirements.html
19
20 Yes, you see that correctly, they have no upper bound on it; they don't
21 define stable either so it is to interpreted as per http://kernel.org.
22
23 Perhaps they should set an upper limit and explicitly check for that in
24 the setup; they either keep up with it or acknowledge that they
25 can't, but this intermediate phase that users across all
26 distributions have to figure out is just silly.
27
28 But well, maybe it is 'cause they haven't released a new version lately.
29
30 313.09 - December 12, 2012
31 313.18 - January 16, 2013
32
33 http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html
34
35 There used to do a monthly release, but February has been quiet.
38 With kind regards,
39
40 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
41 Gentoo Developer
42
43 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
44 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
45 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D