From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] modular X - 7.0 RC1
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:53:50
1 On Thursday 20 October 2005 17:23, Mike Williams wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 October 2005 14:26, Dan Armak wrote:
3 > > To keep the current behaviour, the kde metaebuild (and gnome and the
4 > > other WMs) would have to depend on xorg-x11, which strictly speaking is
5 > > unnecessary. Opinions? How can we educate the users to manually 'emerge
6 > > xorg-x11'? Personally I'm in favor of updating the docs, making a big
7 > > announcement on all channels, and preparing a nice bug to close
8 > > duplicates against.
9 > >
10 > > We'll also need to educate them about xorg-x11 not installing fonts any
11 > > longer. The way I understood your metabuilds.txt, 'emerge xorg-x11 kde'
12 > > would result in an unusable system without any fonts at all...
13 >
14 > As a fairly average joe user when it comes to all things X, I feel it would
15 > be best to keep the current X USE flag behaviour, i.e. a full working
16 > Xserver. The same goes for xorg-x11, or virtual/x11.
17 That's not the meaning of the flag. Its meaning is 'enable optional X11
18 support'. Usually (almost always) this means client X support.
19
20 For apps that really have optional support for the xorg-x11 server, a new USE
21 flag might be introduced.
22
23 > KDE needs some X libs, so obviously must always depend on them, but having
24 > the X USE set should call in a complete working server.
25 >
26 > For packages that can work with, or without X, and should give the option
27 > to have a full server, or not, perhaps a new USE flag is needed? Xlibs?
28 No. That would change the meaning of the X USE flag. We could add a new USE
29 flag, but we shouldn't rename existing ones.
30
31 In any case, the decision of optional clientside X support (the X USE flag
32 today) should be completely separate from the decision of installing a local
33 X server.
36 Dan Armak
37 Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)
38 Public GPG key: http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/danarmak-gpg-public.key
39 Fingerprint: DD70 DBF9 E3D4 6CB9 2FDD 0069 508D 9143 8D5F 8951