From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 10:45:03
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 10:19, Troy Dack wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 15:59, Jan Krueger wrote:
3 > > On Sunday 07 September 2003 03:08, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
4 > > > Come on guys, think what is best for the *distro* (meaning,
5 > > > what will work best for the other 90% of users,
6 >
7 > I'd say 95% of user, but that's just me :P
8 >
9 > > From my point of view the best for the 90% of users in this case (make.conf)
10 > > would be:
11 > > 1. a very precise documentation with examples about the user settable things
12 > > for make.conf thats accessable via a standard command, like man make.conf or
13 > > info make.conf
14 >
15 > How imprecise and unaccessible is:
16 >
17 > nano -w /etc/make.conf
18 >
19 > All settings are commented, and commented well, and it's available using
20 > standard commands (you could even use ed or a combination of cat, less,
21 > head & tail if you really wanted to)
22 >
23 > > 2. a clean, easy to read configuration file without mess and things the user
24 > > doesnt care about so it is easy for the user (even easier for tools) to
25 > > change exactly the setting the user wants to change because it is easier to
26 > > identify the place where the change must happen and easier to identify the
27 > > values that already are there.
28 >
29 > OK, I've installed Gentoo on my boxes that many times I know the process
30 > pretty much off the top of my head, however I can't remember all of the
31 > FEATURES that are available, having them listed in make.conf is
32 > beneficial.
33 >
34 > > You may try this yourself:
35 > > nano -w make.conf as it gets installed
36 > >
37 > > and
38 > > nano -w make.conf with just the settings you actually use, everything else
39 > > thrown out.
40 >
41 > grep -v "#" /etc/make.conf|wc -l && wc -l < /etc/make.conf
42 > 31
45 > Fair enough, I've got 259 lines of comments, I can live with that, the
46 > file isn't confusing and the options are grouped sensibly.
47 >
48 > It seems to me to be fairly standard Linux practice to provide a well
49 > commented config file that can be modified slightly as suited, eg:
50 >
51 > grep -v "#" /etc/squid/squid.conf | wc -l && wc -l <
52 > /etc/squid/squid.conf
56 > So, I've got nearly 3000 lines of comments in my squid.conf, I bet you
57 > won't see anyone suggesting that squid gets installed with an empty
58 > config file and you have to roll one by hand.
59 >
60 > > Which one is easier to modify?
61 > > Especially try to change a FEATURE setting. Or even better, let a new gentoo
62 > > user try to change a FEATURE setting.
63 > >
64 > > If the user is not sure about the variables/values to put there the user may
65 > > at anytime suspend nano or open another terminal or use another virtual
66 > > console and execute man make.conf
67 >
68 > So it is easier to explain to a newbie that they need to switch to a
69 > new virtual console, start up the documentation viewer (man, less,
70 > lynx), read through the docs, switch back to the other virtual console,
71 > make a few changes in the file, lather, rinse, repeat.
72 >
73 > I'll differ with your opinion here, I think it is much easier to have a
74 > well commented file (same as reading code, if the comments are in the
75 > code, it's easier than referring to a description of it and trying to
76 > read the code).
77 >
78 > > most users probably use just 4 or 5 settings:
79 > > use flags
80 > > c(xx) flags
81 > > sync
82 > > mirrors
83 > > features
84 >
85 > True, those are probably the only ones people set, but they are some of
86 > the most important ones in the system.
87 >
88 > Having a config file that lists only the variables to be changed will
89 > lead to people swapping conf files ("Here, use this one it is all set
90 > and works well for me") which could in turn lead to more problems
91 > because people have settings enabled/disabled and they don't know why,
92 > or what those things do.
93 >
94 > > the rest is for the majority of users just useless in make.conf. So my
95 > > expirience (and assumption).
98 > > So i strongly support: