From: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
To: azarah@g.o, Troy Dack <tad@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 12:50:40
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:48, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 10:19, Troy Dack wrote:
3 > > "Gentoo moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once and
4 > > awhile, you could miss out."
5 >
6 > Amen
7
8 Thats not just Amen, that actually _is_ a big Problem if you are
9 administrating some servers that are supposed to provide high quality
10 services.
11
12 One of the reasons for this is, as good as it is and i like it very much,
13 portage. And a very timeconsuming thing is having to update things when there
14 is no need to do so. I could easily bypass this problem by creating my own
15 portage tree and modifying ebuilds. Some do so. That can get timeconsuming,
16 especially when the official portage tree changes a lot in basic ebuilds, and
17 additionally i would loose some very nice portage features. So far i came to
18 the conclusion not to use gentoo on my servers and instead join gentoo-dev. I
19 am happy to see that there is some progess with portage as can be verified on
20 the project pages :)
21
22 Having to update comments in some configuration files on each of the servers
23 is silly and a waste of time that someone has to pay for. No need for this.
24
25 If i dont update the comments after some time i will end up with differing
26 documentation (the one in man make.conf and the comments in make.conf)
27 that can cause more harm then good. No, i dont want comments in configuration
28 files. And yes, i deleted all cruft from my apache.conf, squid.conf,
29 whatever.conf.
30
31 Jan
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list