From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Jan Krueger <jk@×××××××××××.net>
Cc: Troy Dack <tad@g.o>, Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 13:08:57
1 On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 16:56, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:48, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 10:19, Troy Dack wrote:
4 > > > "Gentoo moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once and
5 > > > awhile, you could miss out."
6 > >
7 > > Amen
8 >
9 > Thats not just Amen, that actually _is_ a big Problem if you are
10 > administrating some servers that are supposed to provide high quality
11 > services.
12 >
13 > One of the reasons for this is, as good as it is and i like it very much,
14 > portage. And a very timeconsuming thing is having to update things when there
15 > is no need to do so. I could easily bypass this problem by creating my own
16 > portage tree and modifying ebuilds. Some do so. That can get timeconsuming,
17 > especially when the official portage tree changes a lot in basic ebuilds, and
18 > additionally i would loose some very nice portage features. So far i came to
19 > the conclusion not to use gentoo on my servers and instead join gentoo-dev. I
20 > am happy to see that there is some progess with portage as can be verified on
21 > the project pages :)
22 >
23 > Having to update comments in some configuration files on each of the servers
24 > is silly and a waste of time that someone has to pay for. No need for this.
25 >
26 > If i dont update the comments after some time i will end up with differing
27 > documentation (the one in man make.conf and the comments in make.conf)
28 > that can cause more harm then good. No, i dont want comments in configuration
29 > files. And yes, i deleted all cruft from my apache.conf, squid.conf,
30 > whatever.conf.
33 Yes, but the point is that you usually can just delete the update on
34 the config files of stuff like portage, squid, apache, etc. Most of
35 the times, the only stuff I do update is like the X config files,
36 gnome file, etc. As I have said before, nothing really major have
37 changed since portage-1.x to make.conf to force you to update it
38 as long as you update /etc/make.globals.
39
40 If all the changes is to .example files, you are anyhow going to get
41 fed up with updating them - same as for the real ones now ... will
42 that make you notice actual critical config changes ? No.
43
44 Most of the times ebuild do state that you should check some or other
45 change, so usually just throwing the update away should work (although
46 the bigger problem is that you do not see the announcement of the
47 ebuild anyhow if there is a few builds that was updated).
48
49 That, with the fact that changing this way of doing things, will break
50 the 'should sorda work out of the box' policy that we support (or try
51 to last time I checked).
52
53 And face it, even without all the comments (stripped down versions that
54 some suggested), if you do not want to take the effort to check what
55 my have changed now, you anyhow never will.
58 Regards,
62 Martin Schlemmer
63 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
64 Cape Town, South Africa