From: Steven Elling <ellings@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 21:16:50
1 On Sunday 07 September 2003 09:56, Jan Krueger wrote:
2 > On Sunday 07 September 2003 10:48, Martin Schlemmer wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 10:19, Troy Dack wrote:
4 > > > "Gentoo moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once and
5 > > > awhile, you could miss out."
6 > >
7 > > Amen
8 >
9 > Thats not just Amen, that actually _is_ a big Problem if you are
10 > administrating some servers that are supposed to provide high quality
11 > services.
12 >
13 > One of the reasons for this is, as good as it is and i like it very much,
14 > portage. And a very timeconsuming thing is having to update things when
15 > there is no need to do so. I could easily bypass this problem by creating
16 > my own portage tree and modifying ebuilds. Some do so. That can get
17 > timeconsuming, especially when the official portage tree changes a lot in
18 > basic ebuilds, and additionally i would loose some very nice portage
19 > features. So far i came to the conclusion not to use gentoo on my servers
20 > and instead join gentoo-dev. I am happy to see that there is some progess
21 > with portage as can be verified on the project pages :)
22 >
23 > Having to update comments in some configuration files on each of the
24 > servers is silly and a waste of time that someone has to pay for. No need
25 > for this.
26
27 Here is another point I just remembered. Yes, using etc-update to "update
28 things when there is no need to do so" does not take that long... on a
29 single machine it is just an annoyance. But, I've been the administrator
30 of over 350 UNIX servers. Hell, I've been part of a small group
31 responsible for over 3000 UNIX servers. Image if all of them were gentoo
32 and you had to run etc-update on all of them. Would you be a happy camper?
33 Maybe after you got done and set up shop in the nearest clock tower. 8-)
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list