From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Some suggestions
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 15:32:47
1 > Here is another point I just remembered. Yes, using etc-update to "update
2 > things when there is no need to do so" does not take that long... on a
3 > single machine it is just an annoyance. But, I've been the administrator
4 > of over 350 UNIX servers. Hell, I've been part of a small group
5 > responsible for over 3000 UNIX servers. Image if all of them were gentoo
6 > and you had to run etc-update on all of them. Would you be a happy camper?
7 > Maybe after you got done and set up shop in the nearest clock tower. 8-)
10 In those cases it would probably be advisable to use a centralised
11 configuration management tool like cfengine. You also would not ssh into each
12 of the 3000 servers to update them, but you would use a tool. It is true that
13 such tools could be better supported by gentoo, but there are actually people
14 working on such issues.
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze