From: Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild etiquette and problems
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:52:39
1 I've noticed in quite a number of ebuilds that they fail one or more steps
2 of their compilation from time to time.
3 As an example, I'll take the most recent libgd package.
4 Part of the unpack stage does this:
5
6 cd ${S}
7 patch -p <${FILESDIR}/gd-2.0.1.patch
8
9 Either or both of these could fail.
10 In my opinion, either all ebuilds need to be treated as though they were
11 bash scripts with '-e' set (I think I can make a case for this), which means
12 that *all* failures are treated as fatal (and why wouldn't they be?),
13 or that *every* line end in "|| die"
14
15 Either it's OK for patch to fail or it isn't.
16 Either it's OK for the directory to exist or it isn't.
17 It's common practice to use || die with make and configure,
18 why isn't it with other, just-as-critical parts of the unpack;build;install process?
22 Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious animal on earth.
23
24 Jon Nelson <jnelson@×××××××.net>
25 C and Python Code Gardener