From: flameeyes@gmail.com (Diego 'Flameeyes' =?utf-8?Q?Petten=C3=B2?=)
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: One request for the next SoC: non already-devs students
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2008 19:25:35
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > Do we inspire them by telling them that anybody who has made this choice
4 > in the past is not to be rewarded financially for doing so?
5
6 This brings up a different point of view too. Why should just somebody
7 be rewarded financially and not someone else? Why only people who are
8 still in school, and not people who left school? I don't even want to
9 think what might happen if there was something like Debian's DunkTank
10 flame in here.
11
12 > A bigger concern is this. Which is better for gentoo? Taking somebody
13 > who has never worked on gentoo and paying them money to possibly
14 > accomplish something on the project, or taking somebody who is already
15 > doing quite a bit and pay them so that they can accomplish even more
16 > without the distraction of a day job?
17
18 Do you think that $4500 (which is, by now, less than €3000) during the
19 summer will stop anybody already contributing from finding a day job? I
20 sincerely don't think so.
21
22 It does, though, help new people to _try_ working on Free
23 Software. Students paid for SoC don't need to find a temporary job for
24 that summer to build up experience (which is what I suppose most
25 students would like to do, you can't expect a huge pay for three months
26 of work _in the summer_), it's a good pay, for three months of work, but
27 it's far from being a pay good enough for anybody to actively stop
28 looking for a job. They will have to understand, though, that Gentoo is
29 not a job and you won't end up always being paid to help that.
30
31 Sincerely, I find the "without the distraction of a day job" argument to
32 be pretty silly. How can an eventual, possible, not sure at all, and for
33 sure not stable, check of €3000 once an year stop anybody from finding a
34 dayjob? It's like counting on winning the lottery twice an year to
35 sustain yourself. I live with my parents still, in the past years I had
36 unstable jobs (paying more than €3000) during the start of the year and
37 then had almost nothing between spring and winter, I have no monthly
38 expenses, and I still struggle to find money to buy a new box.
39
40 It might be an added incentive to get experience in Free Software rather
41 than as a third-grade programmer helper in a small software company with
42 most of the stable programmers taking weeks off for the summer, but for
43 sure can't replace a stable job.
46 Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò
47 http://blog.flameeyes.eu/