From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tightly-coupled core distro
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 16:33:05
1 On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 5:07 AM, Steven J. Long
2 <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 05:16:18PM +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote:
4 >> I'm still happy enough with building udev out from systemd tree and
5 >> letting sep. /usr consept from 90s to finally die in favour of
6 >> simplifying the system.
7 >
8 > It's from a lot earlier than the 90s. Perhaps we should get rid of pipes,
9 > too- they're /so/ 1970s.
10 >
11 > Torvalds expressed it well[1]:
12 > You made the statement that you want to get away from 30 years of
13 > history, but the fact is, "30 years of history" is a damn good argument
14 > for "that thing worked".
15 >
16 >> The BIOSes have been upgraded last century to support booting from
17 >> larger partitions, the need has long past.
18 >> Nobody has ever provided a valid reason for using sep. /usr in the ML
19 >> either.
20 >>
21 > So at the same time as you have never heard a valid reason, the need (which
22 > you have never understood) is long past? Pfft.
23 >
24 > To reiterate again: many of us are used to keeping /usr on a separate
25 > partition for security and backup purposes (other use-cases for a separate
26 > partition include mounting /usr over NFS, or a common partition for
27 > virtual machines.) I'm sure other people would have more. Irrespective,
28 > it should be about mechanism, not policy, and certainly not about breaking
29 > existing setups.
30 >
31 > Many of the advertised benefits of the "merge /bin and /sbin to /usr"
32 > concept are in fact just benefits of having a separate /usr partition,
33 > though of course they're presented as new and unique to the merge. So, if
34 > you accept those as benefits, you cannot logically deny them as benefits of
35 > a traditional /usr split.
36 >
37 > Further, as one user pointed out[2]:
38 > "I'd be more likely to just stick /usr back on / than create an initramfs
39 > - it was only because the LVM guide recommended that /usr go on its own
40 > partition that I now face this situation."
41 >
42 > We were given a simple requirement ages ago: udev requires /usr and
43 > /var (and going forward may require /opt for 3rd party drivers) mounted
44 > before it starts, not for udev itself but for helper scripts that it may
45 > call. Why get bogged down in anything else?
46 >
47 > The recommended (which became "supported") method to do this was
48 > to use an initramfs, since apparently any chicken-and-egg problems (such
49 > as requiring a udev-initiated device to mount /usr) are easier to handle
50 > there. (Note that no-one has ever provided a description of how they did
51 > that, eg for their bluetooth keyboard, so that the issues, and how they
52 > are addressed, could be made more transparent to everyone.)
53 >
54 > A few us are happily running initramfs-less machines by fulfilling the
55 > requirement with a couple of patches to openrc initscripts[2]. (It's
56 > been working fine here since last August.) This works in the case where
57 > you didn't need an initramfs before, ie have modules for local-disks and
58 > filesystems built-in, root not on LVM or encrypted, but other partitions
59 > might be-- which includes LVM users who followed the Gentoo docs.
60 >
61 > If that's not enough, there is *already* a forked udev version which quite
62 > a few users have been using[3] and reporting success with. I'd hope the
63 > new fork would just collaborate with them, but it's entirely up to them
64 > what they do.
65 >
66 > All of this argues that, irrespective of your views of the layouts admins
67 > prefer to use, they will still use them regardless, and indeed users will
68 > put in the work you yourself told them to.[4] I really don't understand
69 > why people are getting beat up on, just for going ahead and doing what
70 > they've been told to: provide code for an alternative.
71 >
72 > If a Gentoo developer doesn't understand what a Gentoo project means,
73 > that's his problem. Nor should Gentoo projects suddenly change what they
74 > are because "the internet" doesn't understand them. That's a ridiculous
75 > basis for any change.
76 >
77 > The thing none of the proponents of an initramfs, with no other support
78 > for a separate /usr (apart from busybox sep /usr which does NOT fulfil the
79 > requirements presented by Chainsaw, which Council voted to approve before:
80 > for a start it doesn't handle /usr on LVM), have ever answered is:
81 >
82 > How do you deal with the mismatch problem?
83 >
84 > That is, when you have programs or libs upgraded, just as part of normal
85 > system upgrades, and they are now different, potentially incompatible, to
86 > the initramfs. (The potential exists, therefore it must be addressed for
87 > a solution even to be considered as robust.)
88 >
89 > Do you now need another script to run after every emerge to check that
90 > files in your initramfs are in sync? After all, we've been told the
91 > initramfs is "the new root": iow that we should think of it as our rescue
92 > system, so this matters.
93
94 Debian / Ubuntu have a tool that basically does this. Its
95 update-initramfs. I believe it is called from..the postinst of
96 packages that are supposed to be in the initramfs? honestly I'd have
97 to look up how they implemented it.
98
99 -A
102 > At the same time, we've been told "it's only a few hundred kilobytes at
103 > most." That contradiction has never been answered, either.
104 >
105 > [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/492134/
106 > [2] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901206.html
107 > [3] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678.html
108 > [4] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6987380.html#6987380
109 > --
110 > #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)