From: "Steven J. Long" <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Tightly-coupled core distro
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 12:52:42
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 05:16:18PM +0200, Samuli Suominen wrote:
2 > I'm still happy enough with building udev out from systemd tree and
3 > letting sep. /usr consept from 90s to finally die in favour of
4 > simplifying the system.
5
6 It's from a lot earlier than the 90s. Perhaps we should get rid of pipes,
7 too- they're /so/ 1970s.
8
9 Torvalds expressed it well[1]:
10 You made the statement that you want to get away from 30 years of
11 history, but the fact is, "30 years of history" is a damn good argument
12 for "that thing worked".
13
14 > The BIOSes have been upgraded last century to support booting from
15 > larger partitions, the need has long past.
16 > Nobody has ever provided a valid reason for using sep. /usr in the ML
17 > either.
18 >
19 So at the same time as you have never heard a valid reason, the need (which
20 you have never understood) is long past? Pfft.
21
22 To reiterate again: many of us are used to keeping /usr on a separate
23 partition for security and backup purposes (other use-cases for a separate
24 partition include mounting /usr over NFS, or a common partition for
25 virtual machines.) I'm sure other people would have more. Irrespective,
26 it should be about mechanism, not policy, and certainly not about breaking
27 existing setups.
28
29 Many of the advertised benefits of the "merge /bin and /sbin to /usr"
30 concept are in fact just benefits of having a separate /usr partition,
31 though of course they're presented as new and unique to the merge. So, if
32 you accept those as benefits, you cannot logically deny them as benefits of
33 a traditional /usr split.
34
35 Further, as one user pointed out[2]:
36 "I'd be more likely to just stick /usr back on / than create an initramfs
37 - it was only because the LVM guide recommended that /usr go on its own
38 partition that I now face this situation."
39
40 We were given a simple requirement ages ago: udev requires /usr and
41 /var (and going forward may require /opt for 3rd party drivers) mounted
42 before it starts, not for udev itself but for helper scripts that it may
43 call. Why get bogged down in anything else?
44
45 The recommended (which became "supported") method to do this was
46 to use an initramfs, since apparently any chicken-and-egg problems (such
47 as requiring a udev-initiated device to mount /usr) are easier to handle
48 there. (Note that no-one has ever provided a description of how they did
49 that, eg for their bluetooth keyboard, so that the issues, and how they
50 are addressed, could be made more transparent to everyone.)
51
52 A few us are happily running initramfs-less machines by fulfilling the
53 requirement with a couple of patches to openrc initscripts[2]. (It's
54 been working fine here since last August.) This works in the case where
55 you didn't need an initramfs before, ie have modules for local-disks and
56 filesystems built-in, root not on LVM or encrypted, but other partitions
57 might be-- which includes LVM users who followed the Gentoo docs.
58
59 If that's not enough, there is *already* a forked udev version which quite
60 a few users have been using[3] and reporting success with. I'd hope the
61 new fork would just collaborate with them, but it's entirely up to them
62 what they do.
63
64 All of this argues that, irrespective of your views of the layouts admins
65 prefer to use, they will still use them regardless, and indeed users will
66 put in the work you yourself told them to.[4] I really don't understand
67 why people are getting beat up on, just for going ahead and doing what
68 they've been told to: provide code for an alternative.
69
70 If a Gentoo developer doesn't understand what a Gentoo project means,
71 that's his problem. Nor should Gentoo projects suddenly change what they
72 are because "the internet" doesn't understand them. That's a ridiculous
73 basis for any change.
74
75 The thing none of the proponents of an initramfs, with no other support
76 for a separate /usr (apart from busybox sep /usr which does NOT fulfil the
77 requirements presented by Chainsaw, which Council voted to approve before:
78 for a start it doesn't handle /usr on LVM), have ever answered is:
79
80 How do you deal with the mismatch problem?
81
82 That is, when you have programs or libs upgraded, just as part of normal
83 system upgrades, and they are now different, potentially incompatible, to
84 the initramfs. (The potential exists, therefore it must be addressed for
85 a solution even to be considered as robust.)
86
87 Do you now need another script to run after every emerge to check that
88 files in your initramfs are in sync? After all, we've been told the
89 initramfs is "the new root": iow that we should think of it as our rescue
90 system, so this matters.
91
92 At the same time, we've been told "it's only a few hundred kilobytes at
93 most." That contradiction has never been answered, either.
94
95 [1] http://lwn.net/Articles/492134/
96 [2] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-901206.html
97 [3] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-934678.html
98 [4] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-6987380.html#6987380
99 --
100 #friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)