From: Dan Armak <danarmak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:53:18
1 On Wednesday 18 July 2001 16:31, you wrote:
2 > Here's my 2 cents worth....
3 >
4 > > Now, there exists a USE vorbis flag. I can depend on this in
5 > > deciding, in the
6 > > ebuild, whether to include vorbis support or not.
7 > > However, if USE vorbis isn't set but Vorbis is already
8 > > installed, should I
9 > > use it?
10 >
11 > To me, vorbis should only be used if the USE variable is set. I'd me
12 > annoyed if I installed vorbis to test something out and ended up with a
13 > package that decided to use it without a USE.
14 >
15 > > A worse situation: there is no smpeg USE flag. I have 4 options:
16 > > 1. Force usage of smpeg.
17 > > 2. Use smpeg if it's already installed.
18 > > 3. Never use smpeg.
19 > > 4. Create a USE smpeg flag.
20 > >
21 > > Option 4 I dismiss. If we create USE flags for every shared
22 > > library and util
23 > > which might possibly be used by another package, there will
24 > > be a hundred
25 > > falgs or more and a user won't be able to take time to
26 > > understand the meaning
27 > > of each and decide on setting it or not.
28 >
29 > Agree.
30 >
31 > > There seems no reason to do option 3. Option 2 might seem to
32 > > be a good
33 > > default, but what about option 1? Is there any good reason
34 > > not to use smpeg,
35 > > if it takes only 20 mins to d/l and install and adds
36 > > important functionality?
37 >
38 > This comes down to the ebuilder's decision. I am in favour of comments in
39 > the .ebuild file so that intermediate users can fine tune things like this.
40 >
41 > > If there is, we should create a DONT_USE smpeg flag :-)
42 >
43 > I don't like that.
44 >
45 > > This is why I think that instead of using cumbersome USE
46 > > flags, we should
47 > > very simply ask the user (interactively) what optional
48 > > dependencies he wants.
49 > > The USE flags would be used as default choices for a non-interactive
50 > > installation process. I think this is much more simple and
51 > > elegant than
52 > > making the user's choices for him!
53 >
54 > As soon as you presented the problem this is what I thought the solution
55 > should be. Of course, in order to be script-driven we should be able to
56 > specify these on the command line.
57 >
58 > This keeps the USE variable down to things that are system-wide choices
59 > (ALSA, MMX/3DNOW, etc) but still allows fine tuning of the end product. The
60 > only drawback that I see is that it will complicate the process of making
61 > ebuilds a bit.
62 >
63 > If emerge could support package specific USE variable (maybe WITH?) then it
64 > could not only accomodate the scenario you present but even allow a really
65 > eager ebuilder to create (for example) an ebuild for XFree86 that asks you
66 > for your mouse, keyboard, etc and sets XF86Config appropriately.
67 >
68 > Now perhaps Daniel, Achim, and everyone might not want something like this
69 > for Gentoo Linux proper, but if I were making a Gentoo based distibution
70 > targetted at a customer with multiple configurations (which I hope to one
71 > day do) it would become very attractive.
72 >
73 > At any rate I'd like to see something like...
74 >
75 > lucaya /root > emerge --interactive sys-lib/STLport.4.0.ebuild
76 >
77 > Use SGI IOstreams? [Y/n]
78 >
79 > ...or the alternate form...
80 >
81 > lucaya /root > emerge --with SGI_IO sys-lib/STLport.4.0.ebuild
82 >
83 > ...which could have the ebuild read something like...
84 >
85 > src_compile()
86 > {
87 > if [ "`with SGI_IO`" ]
88 > then
89 > CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--enable-SGI_IOSTREAMS"
90 > fi
91 >
92 > try ./configure --prefix ${D}/usr ${CONFIGURE_OPTIONS}
93 > }
94
95 I agree. I think interactive ebuilds are very powerful and important.
96
97 The ebuilds would ask questions - what libraries to link with etc., and
98 possibly configuration options could be added. The USE flags would become the
99 system-wide default answers.
100
101 In the meantime, if drobbins/achim/everyone else don't want to change emerge
102 to suit (maybe not yet), we should at least decide on a standard
103 question/ansewr format and perhaps add a simple handler function to emerge.
106 Dan Armak
107 Gentoo Linux Developer
108 Matan, Israel