From: Sean Mitchell <SMitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion: DONT_USE flags
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:33:26
1 Here's my 2 cents worth....
2
3 > Now, there exists a USE vorbis flag. I can depend on this in
4 > deciding, in the
5 > ebuild, whether to include vorbis support or not.
6 > However, if USE vorbis isn't set but Vorbis is already
7 > installed, should I
8 > use it?
9
10 To me, vorbis should only be used if the USE variable is set. I'd me annoyed
11 if I installed vorbis to test something out and ended up with a package that
12 decided to use it without a USE.
13
14 > A worse situation: there is no smpeg USE flag. I have 4 options:
15 > 1. Force usage of smpeg.
16 > 2. Use smpeg if it's already installed.
17 > 3. Never use smpeg.
18 > 4. Create a USE smpeg flag.
19 >
20 > Option 4 I dismiss. If we create USE flags for every shared
21 > library and util
22 > which might possibly be used by another package, there will
23 > be a hundred
24 > falgs or more and a user won't be able to take time to
25 > understand the meaning
26 > of each and decide on setting it or not.
27
28 Agree.
29
30 > There seems no reason to do option 3. Option 2 might seem to
31 > be a good
32 > default, but what about option 1? Is there any good reason
33 > not to use smpeg,
34 > if it takes only 20 mins to d/l and install and adds
35 > important functionality?
36
37 This comes down to the ebuilder's decision. I am in favour of comments in
38 the .ebuild file so that intermediate users can fine tune things like this.
41 > If there is, we should create a DONT_USE smpeg flag :-)
42
43 I don't like that.
44
45 > This is why I think that instead of using cumbersome USE
46 > flags, we should
47 > very simply ask the user (interactively) what optional
48 > dependencies he wants.
49 > The USE flags would be used as default choices for a non-interactive
50 > installation process. I think this is much more simple and
51 > elegant than
52 > making the user's choices for him!
53
54 As soon as you presented the problem this is what I thought the solution
55 should be. Of course, in order to be script-driven we should be able to
56 specify these on the command line.
57
58 This keeps the USE variable down to things that are system-wide choices
59 (ALSA, MMX/3DNOW, etc) but still allows fine tuning of the end product. The
60 only drawback that I see is that it will complicate the process of making
61 ebuilds a bit.
62
63 If emerge could support package specific USE variable (maybe WITH?) then it
64 could not only accomodate the scenario you present but even allow a really
65 eager ebuilder to create (for example) an ebuild for XFree86 that asks you
66 for your mouse, keyboard, etc and sets XF86Config appropriately.
67
68 Now perhaps Daniel, Achim, and everyone might not want something like this
69 for Gentoo Linux proper, but if I were making a Gentoo based distibution
70 targetted at a customer with multiple configurations (which I hope to one
71 day do) it would become very attractive.
72
73 At any rate I'd like to see something like...
74
75 lucaya /root > emerge --interactive sys-lib/STLport.4.0.ebuild
76
77 Use SGI IOstreams? [Y/n]
78
79 ...or the alternate form...
80
81 lucaya /root > emerge --with SGI_IO sys-lib/STLport.4.0.ebuild
82
83 ...which could have the ebuild read something like...
84
85 src_compile()
86 {
87 if [ "`with SGI_IO`" ]
88 then
89 CONFIGURE_OPTIONS="--enable-SGI_IOSTREAMS"
90 fi
91
92 try ./configure --prefix ${D}/usr ${CONFIGURE_OPTIONS}
93 }
96 Keep in mind that this 2 cents Canadian, so depending on the current
97 exchange rate it's really only around 1.2 cents worth....
98
99 Cheers,
100
101 Sean
102
104 Sean Mitchell Software Engineer
105 smitchell@×××××××××××××××××××.com Phoenix Interactive Design Inc
106 tel. 519-679-2913 x237 4th Floor, 137 Dundas St
107 fax. 519 679 6773 London, ON, Canada N6A 1E9
108 ICQ# 104246806