From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x86 2004.2 Profile
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 20:03:36
1 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 13:15, John Davis wrote:
3 > When was the last time someone suggest switching from gcc to icc as our
4 > default compiler mid-release? That's right... never.
5 >
6 > You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm not talking about the
7 > stabilization/change of a package *version* but rather of the change in
8 > what many consider an essential function from one package to another.
9 > While it may seem like a small thing to you, when I install from a
10 > 2004.1 CD, I know that I'll end up with xfree when I go to install X.
11 > *THIS SHOULD NOT CHANGE*
12 > We are all well aware that the *version* of xfree (or any other package,
13 > for that matter) may change during the time since release, but the
14 > actual packages themselves should be the same. The only exception to
15 > this would be in the case of the original package being completely
16 > removed from the tree.
17
18 I don't understand why the switch from xfree to xorg-x11 is a big deal. They are
19 currently source and binary compatible. Almost everything (if not everything)
20 works the same with xorg-x11 as it did with xfree.
23 Andrew Gaffney
24 Network Administrator
25 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
26 636-357-1548