From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x86 2004.2 Profile
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 18:23:15
1 On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 13:15, John Davis wrote:
2 > But at this point in time, Gentoo is *not* an Enterprise system.
3 > Packages have zero consistency between releases (even between weeks).
4 > Creating a whole new profile and then going through the hoops
5 > (documentation and user support) to get them all to switch over to the
6 > new profile far outweighs the benefit .. especially for (basically) one
7 > package!
8
9 ...and it will never be an enterprise-grade system if we always use the
10 excuse that it isn't one already to keep us from doing something that
11 leads in that direction.
12
13 I'm not talking about moving, removing, nor deprecating the 2004.0
14 profile, simply creating a new one for use with GRP and the new release
15 out of the box.
16
17 > The problem of consistency is far beyond the xfree/ xorg switch. Why put
18 > all of the effort into one package when we don't have more important
19 > things, like our toolchain, stabilized between releases?
20
21 When was the last time someone suggest switching from gcc to icc as our
22 default compiler mid-release? That's right... never.
23
24 You're comparing apples to oranges. I'm not talking about the
25 stabilization/change of a package *version* but rather of the change in
26 what many consider an essential function from one package to another.
27 While it may seem like a small thing to you, when I install from a
28 2004.1 CD, I know that I'll end up with xfree when I go to install X.
29 *THIS SHOULD NOT CHANGE*
30 We are all well aware that the *version* of xfree (or any other package,
31 for that matter) may change during the time since release, but the
32 actual packages themselves should be the same. The only exception to
33 this would be in the case of the original package being completely
34 removed from the tree.
37 Chris Gianelloni
38 Release Engineering QA Manager/Games Developer
39 Gentoo Linux
40
41 Is your power animal a penguin?