From: Martin Schlemmer <azarah@g.o>
To: Spider <spider@g.o>
Cc: Gentoo-Dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] better handling of multibyte characters (nls/cjk/unicode)
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2003 19:10:00
1 On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:05, Spider wrote:
2 > begin quote
3 > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 23:24:52 +0900
4 > Mamoru KOMACHI <usata@g.o> wrote:
7 > > So what I will do is:
8 > >
9 > > 1. Create global USE flag named "unicode" which enables
10 > > Unicode(including UTF-7/UTF-8/UTF-16 and so on) support.
11 > > 2. Don't make it default in any profiles. (We will consider it later
12 > > when those applications settle down.)
13 > >
14 > > Everybody happy with this? I hope it will be a good starting point for
15 > > integrating Unicoded support into Gentoo Linux.
18 > Sounds great.
21 > proposed addition to baselayout:
22 >
23 > if [ `use unicode` ] ;
24 > then
25 > cat >> ${D}/etc/rc.conf << EOF
26 > # This setting enables a default UTF-8 locale for your system.
27 > # please look inside /usr/share/locale for more examples
28 > LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
29 >
30 > EOF
31 > fi
32 >
33 > This is rough, but something like it perhaps?
34
35 I do not see why. If you enable utf8 support, it does not
36 mean you want it in console. The user should specify his
37 LANG himself, as well as the fact that it should rather
38 be:
39
40 ELANG="en_US.UTF-8"
41
42 and then get it to propagate only to the users, as there are
43 still a lot of things breaking during build with LANG, et el
44 set.
47 Thanks,
51 Martin Schlemmer
52 Gentoo Linux Developer, Desktop/System Team Developer
53 Cape Town, South Africa