From: "Róbert Čerňanský" <openhs@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEWS item for games destabling
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 09:26:44
1 On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 21:53:52 -0800
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:36:33AM +0100, Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
5 > > On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 10:26:29 +0100
6 > > David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > Round 2 (with correct whitespace this time):
9 > > >
10 > > > Title: No stable KEYWORDS for Gentoo Games
11 > > > Author: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
12 > > > Content-Type: text/plain
13 > > > Posted: 2017-11-20
14 > > > Revision: 1
15 > > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
16 > > > Display-If-Keyword: amd64 x86
17 > > >
18 > > > As the Games team does not have enough manpower to keep tabs on
19 > > > all games packages, we have dropped all ebuilds maintained by the
20 > > > games project to unstable KEYWORDS (without those required by
21 > > > other stable packages). If you have any of these stable games
22 > > > packages installed, you will have to add them
23 > > > to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/ manually. Failures
24 > > > related to missing stable KEYWORDS will show up as
25 > > >
26 > > > The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
27 > > > (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for
28 > > > more details)
29 > > > # required by @selected
30 > > > # required by @world (argument)
31 > > > =games-action/0verkill-0.16-r4 ~amd64
32 > > >
33 > > > While we accept that this will cause some irritation for the
34 > > > community, pretending we have a well supported games collection by
35 > > > having a wealth of stable games packages is misleading at best. We
36 > > > welcome contributions from outsiders willing to polish up the
37 > > > games landscape in Gentoo via the Proxy Maintainers.
38 > >
39 > > What does it mean for the future? Should not users bother to test &
40 > > write stabilization request bugs for games anymore? Or stabi
41 > > requests will still be accepted?
42 >
43 > If I may take a stab at this (correct me if I'm wrong, soap):
44 >
45 > It only means games are being dropped to ~arch (testing) until other
46 > maintainers (proxy or otherwise) step up to make sure the games really
47 > are stable. Packages that rarely get attention but are still marked
48 > "stable" dilutes the meaning of "stable", especially if you get
49 > installation or runtime problems that a proper testing of the package
50 > would have caught.
51 >
52 > This results in bugs that should've been caught in the testing phase,
53 > confuses users (and developers), and redundant or obvious bugs being
54 > reported.
55 >
56 > This reads like a "fresh slate" for games, allowing them to start from
57 > ~arch and ensure that stabilization procedures are correctly followed
58 > by those who step up. While this will create more stabilization bugs,
59 > it should, in theory, result in better ebuilds (which makes Gentoo
60 > maintenance better/easier) and games that have *actually* been tested.
61 >
62 > I hope this explanation is both accurate and helpful.
63
64 It make sense to me. Although the original news reads more like
65 "games will not go to stable unless they are proxy maintained" but --
66 in light of your explanation -- that's probably me reading it wrong.
67 It is certainly better if package keywords reflect the reality. I
68 only hope this will not be happening very often, more like - never
69 again. ;-)
70
71 ...and thanks games team and everyone who provides & maintains games
72 in Gentoo or did so in the past. Availability of top-class games was
73 one of the things which attracted me to Gentoo (lots of years ago ;-) ).
74 Portage being able chew original commercial CD-s blown my mind back
75 then. I think this is unique to Gentoo and no other distro had ever
76 possibility to install those games via package manager.
77
78 Robert
82 Róbert Čerňanský
83 E-mail: openhs@×××××××××.com