From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] NEWS item for games destabling
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 05:54:09
1 On Mon, Nov 20, 2017 at 11:36:33AM +0100, Róbert Čerňanský wrote:
2 > On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 10:26:29 +0100
3 > David Seifert <soap@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Round 2 (with correct whitespace this time):
6 > >
7 > > Title: No stable KEYWORDS for Gentoo Games
8 > > Author: David Seifert <soap@g.o>
9 > > Content-Type: text/plain
10 > > Posted: 2017-11-20
11 > > Revision: 1
12 > > News-Item-Format: 1.0
13 > > Display-If-Keyword: amd64 x86
14 > >
15 > > As the Games team does not have enough manpower to keep tabs on all
16 > > games packages, we have dropped all ebuilds maintained by the games
17 > > project to unstable KEYWORDS (without those required by other stable
18 > > packages). If you have any of these stable games packages installed,
19 > > you will have to add them to /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/
20 > > manually. Failures related to missing stable KEYWORDS will show up as
21 > >
22 > > The following keyword changes are necessary to proceed:
23 > > (see "package.accept_keywords" in the portage(5) man page for more
24 > > details)
25 > > # required by @selected
26 > > # required by @world (argument)
27 > > =games-action/0verkill-0.16-r4 ~amd64
28 > >
29 > > While we accept that this will cause some irritation for the
30 > > community, pretending we have a well supported games collection by
31 > > having a wealth of stable games packages is misleading at best. We
32 > > welcome contributions from outsiders willing to polish up the games
33 > > landscape in Gentoo via the Proxy Maintainers.
34 >
35 > What does it mean for the future? Should not users bother to test &
36 > write stabilization request bugs for games anymore? Or stabi
37 > requests will still be accepted?
38 >
39 > Robert
42 > --
43 > Róbert Čerňanský
44 > E-mail: openhs@×××××××××.com
45 > Jabber: hs@××××××.sk
48 If I may take a stab at this (correct me if I'm wrong, soap):
49
50 It only means games are being dropped to ~arch (testing) until other
51 maintainers (proxy or otherwise) step up to make sure the games really
52 are stable. Packages that rarely get attention but are still marked
53 "stable" dilutes the meaning of "stable", especially if you get
54 installation or runtime problems that a proper testing of the package
55 would have caught.
56
57 This results in bugs that should've been caught in the testing phase,
58 confuses users (and developers), and redundant or obvious bugs being
59 reported.
60
61 This reads like a "fresh slate" for games, allowing them to start from
62 ~arch and ensure that stabilization procedures are correctly followed by
63 those who step up. While this will create more stabilization bugs, it
64 should, in theory, result in better ebuilds (which makes Gentoo
65 maintenance better/easier) and games that have *actually* been tested.
66
67 I hope this explanation is both accurate and helpful.
68
69 ~zlg
70 --
71 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer, Trustee, Treasurer
72 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
73 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6