From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some errors
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 02:16:07
1 michael nazaroff wrote:
2 >
3 > michael nazaroff wrote:
4 > >
5 > >michael nazaroff wrote:
6 > > >
7 > > >Number one error that I'm having Konsole is not exporting /etc/.profile
8 > > >properly so I'm am without colors in my termial window.
9 > >
10 > >.profile ? must be a typo.
11 > >Do you mean in the xterminals?
12 > >
13 > > Number two su does
14 > > >not work will not allow me to su to root it says su: Permission denied
15 > > >Sorry.
16 > >
17 > >That question is covered in the faq
18 > >
19 > >And then lastly the netscape script in /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape is
20 > > >giving me this error /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape: line 8: 5048 Bus error
21 > > > $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape $@
22 > >
23 > >hrm, that's strange do you have the sys-libs/lib-compat package
24 > >installed?
25 > >
26 > >bye achim~
27 > >
28 > >Ok I check on the sys-libs/lib-compat and yes it's installed and I'm
29 > >speaking of the Konsole the kde terminal application it will not export
30 > >.profile because none of the colours, etc will not show up it's just flat
31 > >colour text (all one color) and the prompt only says (bash-2.04$) not my
32 > >name or hostname and su still says Password:
33 > >su: Authentication failure
34 > >Sorry.
35 >
36 > you have added your user to the wheel group in /etc/groups?
37 > That allways worked.
38 >
39 > Yeah kde seems to ignore /etc/profile, I could not figure out how to
40 > change this.
41 > You said it worked in linux-from scratch. I will take a look at it (I
42 > like that concept too).
43 >
44 > Can you start netscape direct typing /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape? If not run
45 > it with strace (dev-ustils/strace) and send me the log please.
46 > This is the first time this problem occured.
47 >
48 > bye achim~
49 >
50 > Ok should we try to solve one problem at a time, actually since your online
51 > do you have a chat client maybe we could talk straight to each other?
52
53 Yeah, I'm allways on openprojects.net #gentoo
54
55 bye achim~
58 If not
59 > here is netscape script in /usr/X11R6/bin/ it errors out with
60 > /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape
61 > /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape: line 8: 25477 Bus error
62 > $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape $@
63 >
64 > Ok and yes I followed the directions on faq and I did a cat on the
65 > /etc/groups and it shows root and naz (wheel::10:root,naz) that is the exact
66 > line.
67 >
68 > The kde is weird because they do not have any directions on linuxfromscratch
69 > just how to build a base system then I compiled kde from just downloading
70 > kde for kde.org newest release 2.1 and it worked fine with my profile.
71 >
72 > Naz
77 > gentoo-dev mailing list
78 > gentoo-dev@g.o