From: michael nazaroff <spirexe@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] some errors
Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 01:59:31
1 michael nazaroff wrote:
2 >
3 >michael nazaroff wrote:
4 > >
5 > >Number one error that I'm having Konsole is not exporting /etc/.profile
6 > >properly so I'm am without colors in my termial window.
7 >
8 >.profile ? must be a typo.
9 >Do you mean in the xterminals?
10 >
11 > Number two su does
12 > >not work will not allow me to su to root it says su: Permission denied
13 > >Sorry.
14 >
15 >That question is covered in the faq
16 >
17 >And then lastly the netscape script in /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape is
18 > >giving me this error /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape: line 8: 5048 Bus error
19 > > $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape $@
20 >
21 >hrm, that's strange do you have the sys-libs/lib-compat package
22 >installed?
23 >
24 >bye achim~
25 >
26 >Ok I check on the sys-libs/lib-compat and yes it's installed and I'm
27 >speaking of the Konsole the kde terminal application it will not export
28 >.profile because none of the colours, etc will not show up it's just flat
29 >colour text (all one color) and the prompt only says (bash-2.04$) not my
30 >name or hostname and su still says Password:
31 >su: Authentication failure
32 >Sorry.
33
34 you have added your user to the wheel group in /etc/groups?
35 That allways worked.
36
37 Yeah kde seems to ignore /etc/profile, I could not figure out how to
38 change this.
39 You said it worked in linux-from scratch. I will take a look at it (I
40 like that concept too).
41
42 Can you start netscape direct typing /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape? If not run
43 it with strace (dev-ustils/strace) and send me the log please.
44 This is the first time this problem occured.
45
46 bye achim~
47
48 Ok should we try to solve one problem at a time, actually since your online
49 do you have a chat client maybe we could talk straight to each other? If not
50 here is netscape script in /usr/X11R6/bin/ it errors out with
51 /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape
52 /usr/X11R6/bin/netscape: line 8: 25477 Bus error
53 $MOZILLA_HOME/netscape $@
54
55 Ok and yes I followed the directions on faq and I did a cat on the
56 /etc/groups and it shows root and naz (wheel::10:root,naz) that is the exact
57 line.
58
59 The kde is weird because they do not have any directions on linuxfromscratch
60 just how to build a base system then I compiled kde from just downloading
61 kde for kde.org newest release 2.1 and it worked fine with my profile.
62
63 Naz