From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] random gdb "debugger segfaults"
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:47:31
1 On Saturday 15 November 2003 22:11, Burton Samograd wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm not sure if this is a gentoo problem, but I figured I would get a
5 > better response through this list than gentoo-user.
6 >
7 > I'm working on a new C program and I'm getting a number of debugger
8 > segfaults when running gdb. I've never had such a vital program as
9 > gdb crash on me before, so this has gotten me a bit worried about
10 > possible library mismatches or problems with newer versions
11 > gcc/binutils/gdb working together.
12 >
13 > I'm working with shared libraries in this application for the first
14 > time, and I thought that gdb might be a bit flakey with this type of
15 > dynamic symbol allocation. Anybody have experience with this?
16 >
17 > I don't know if there's a current solution, but I thought that I
18 > wouldn't be alone is seeing these problems and that others might have
19 > already found the source (and solution). Currently I'm running:
20 >
21 > gdb 6.0
22 > gcc 3.3.2-r2
23 > binutils 2.14.90.0.7
24 >
25 > Note that gdb does work, but crashes rather randomly (as in, I can't
26 > see a definite pattern that I could nail down to an actual bug)
27 > requiring a restart, which is a bit irritating but not life
28 > threatening.
29
30 What kernel, and which optimizations are you using. Further there could of
31 course be the standard bad power/bad mem/other flaky hardware problems
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze
37 Gentoo Developer