From: Alec Joseph Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cleaning out 'bc' and 'ed' from system
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 13:06:42
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 050421 Juha Varkki wrote:
3 >
4 >>050421 Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>we've had 'bc' and 'ed' around for historical reasons
7 >>>and because we've never actually tracked what packages invoke them
8 >>
9 >>Do you mean /usr/bin/bc or did I miss something?
10 >>Why on earth are you taking it out? I use bc quite often actually ..
13 > surely the idea of 'system' is to provide all those basic tools
14 > which someone might need when doing sysadmin things without X .
15 > that's why Lynx is included, to allow seeking WWW help & downloading things.
16 > Ed is there because it's needed for Sed, which is useful for sysadmin;
17 > Bc has a similar usefulness. all at basic console level.
18 >
19 > as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it:
20 > try to understand why it was done that way originally.
21 >
22 IIRC, "System" is the set of minimal packages required to get the system
23 running. Lynx is not in system ( although on the liveCD so one can
24 view/download web material while on the liveCD ). "System" has nothing
25 to do with administrating your system. Thats your job as the
26 administrator, to have all the utilities installed that you require.
27 --
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list