From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] cleaning out 'bc' and 'ed' from system
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 06:46:49
1 050421 Juha Varkki wrote:
2 > 050421 Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 >> we've had 'bc' and 'ed' around for historical reasons
4 >> and because we've never actually tracked what packages invoke them
5 > Do you mean /usr/bin/bc or did I miss something?
6 > Why on earth are you taking it out? I use bc quite often actually ..
7
8 surely the idea of 'system' is to provide all those basic tools
9 which someone might need when doing sysadmin things without X .
10 that's why Lynx is included, to allow seeking WWW help & downloading things.
11 Ed is there because it's needed for Sed, which is useful for sysadmin;
12 Bc has a similar usefulness. all at basic console level.
13
14 as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it:
15 try to understand why it was done that way originally.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list