From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Josh Ockert <torstenvl@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache build
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 19:00:32
1 On Saturday 05 June 2004 16:28, Josh Ockert wrote:
2 > As far as the developer no longer being with Gentoo, this was not
3 > apparent. I suppose I could have searched for the information, but it
4 > didn't occur to me that doing so was important. Simply the fact that a
5 > dev could be so abusive on a bug report scared me away from it -- I've
6 > read and submitted several bug reports on Mozilla (Seamonkey and
7 > Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox) and I've never seen such an attitude from
8 > devs.
9
10 If you look hard enough through *any* bugs database, you'll find occaisonal
13 > The webapp glep is a good idea, and I realize that the config file
14 > scheme helps with vhosts,
15
16 There are no changes in the existing config files for the webapp GLEP. I'm
17 holding off submitting the changes for Chuck's approval until our
18 vhost-config tool is finished. The planned changes are minimal, and will be
19 well documented.
20
21 My guess is that the original Apache2 config files that we ship were designed
22 to look like the older Apache1 configuration files.
23
24 > Other people also dislike this and have had problems with it:
25 > http://braindamage.alal.com/archives/gentoo-user.old/20030901/0802.html
26
27 This one is a user who changed his DocumentRoot but didn't change the
28 <Directory> section that applied to the old DocumentRoot.
29
30 This one is user-error.
31
32 > http://braille.uwo.ca/pipermail/speakup/2004-May/027765.html
33
34 This one is the same as above.
35
36 > http://www.apache-httpd.com/msg/5497.html
37
38 This one is a user who is unable to get UserDir support working. This is a
39 bug in our configuration files.
40
41 > Up until this point I've been happy with Gentoo. I think it's a good
42 > system, even if slightly quirky. I just don't think you want Gentoo to
43 > be one of the distributions that gets mentioned by name in the Apache
44 > Troubleshooting section. I know I don't.
45
46 I couldn't find an 'Apache Troubleshooting' section on httpd.apache.org, and
47 Google couldn't find any mention of Gentoo on there either.
48
49 Please take up Chuck's offer, so that we can go through this in more detail.
50
51 Best regards,
52 Stu
53 --
54 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
55 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
56 http://stu.gnqs.org/diary/
57
58 GnuPG key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
59 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C